Editors’ Prize Guidelines
Jeffrey E. Smith
Editors’ Prize in
Fiction, Essay and PoetryNot Just Any Contest!
Select winning entries in the past have been reprinted in the Best American series.
$5,000 Fiction | $5,000 Poetry | $5,000 Essay
Deadline: October 1, 2012.
Submit online now.
Or download the entry form (PDF) for print submissions.
Interested in reading a past Jeffrey E. Smith Editor’s Prize winner? Check out the essays “Big Jim,” “Letters to David,” and “My Thai Girlfriends” on textBOX, the Missouri Review’s free online anthology: www.missourireview.com/anthology
(No other information is needed to enter)
- Page restrictions: Please include no more than 25 typed, double-spaced pages for fiction and nonfiction. Poetry entries can include any number of poems up to 10 pages in total. Each story, essay, or group of poems constitutes one entry.
- Entry fee: $20 for each entry (make checks payable to The Missouri Review). Each fee entitles the entrant to a one-year subscription to TMR in print or digital format (for a free sample of a digital issue, go here!), an extension of a current subscription, or a gift subscription. Please enclose a complete address for subscriptions.
- Entry instructions (for mailed entries): Include the printable contest entry form. On the first page of each submission, include author’s name, address, e-mail and telephone number. Entries must be previously unpublished and will not be returned. We accept simultaneous submissions but ask for immediate notification if the piece is accepted for publication elsewhere. Mark the outside of the envelope “Fiction,” “Essay,” or “Poetry.” Each entry in a separate category must be mailed in a separate envelope. Enclose a #10 SASE or e-mail address for an announcement of winners.
- Eligibility: Previous winners of the Editors’ Prize and previous employees of TMR are ineligible. Previous finalists, however, may enter again.
- Mailing address:
Missouri Review Editors’ Prize
357 McReynolds Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
- Go Green: Enter Online! We are also accepting electronic submissions.
Download the entry form for print submissions.
The postmark deadline is Oct. 1, 2012. The winners will be announced in January 2013.
If you have any questions regarding the Editors’ Prize Contest, please feel free to e-mail us at: email@example.com.